Communications Specialists are embedded in local worker campaigns and play a crucial role in designing comprehensive communications strategies using digital platforms, earned media, and multi-media tools to raise the visibility of worker struggles. As a Communications Specialist with UNITE HERE, you can be part of a team that empowers people in low-wage service sector jobs to achieve better wages and benefits, dignity and basic rights at work.
Job Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Framing messages and developing materials for effective communication with the news media, the general public, union members, and other working people and allies.
- Developing, planning and leading communication strategies and calendars for organizing, contract and other advocacy campaigns.
- Developing and implementing proactive earned media outreach in traditional and new media, planning and organizing media events, and training workers to be spokespersons.
- Writing leaflets, bulletins, website and e-advocacy content, news releases, fact sheets, talking points, speeches, paid ads, and other materials.
- Managing the production of internal member communications, including newsletters, electronic communications using mass texting and email services, and more.
- Producing multi-media content for communications, such as photographs and short videos.
- Maintaining and updating content to websites, social media feeds, and internal electronic archives.
- Expanding the Union's strategic use of digital communications and new social media.
- Collaborating with leaders from other departments in the development of campaign communications strategy and content.
- Working with outside consultants or vendors on special projects.
- Ensuring that all communication is consistent and reflects the Union’s strategic vision.
- Editing and revising all communications content as necessary.
- Minimum of one year of work experience in media relations, public affairs, or campaign communications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to frame issues for specific audiences and develop simple, effective advocacy materials
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice
- Prior work experience with grassroots advocacy campaigns
- Proficient with Microsoft Word/Excel
- Fluency in Spanish a plus
- Experience with creative media production in one or more of the following areas is preferred: web development, graphic design, photography or video production/editing
- Experience using Mobile Commons or Action Network a plus
- Experience using Adobe Creative Suite software (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign) or Final Cut Pro a plus
Salary: $48,000-$58,000 range commensurate with experience
Benefits: UNITE HERE offers exceptional benefits, including family medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage with no employee premiums, retirement funds (401k and pension), and generous paid time off.
UNITE HERE has extensive COVID Health & Safety protocols in place that are available for review upon request. Offices are currently open; occasional hybrid work accommodations are available depending on circumstances.
To Apply, please be prepared to upload the following:
- Cover letter — Be sure to let us know why you’re motivated to fight for workers’ rights and share any experience you have with hospitality industry or service sector work.
- Writing sample
- Three references—preferably individuals who have supervised your work.
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.