Coordinator: Immigration, Diversity and Civil Rights Department
The Coordinator will provide programmatic support for UNITE HERE’s Department for Immigration, Diversity and Civil Rights (www.unitehere.org) The Coordinator will support a team that works to influence public policy, to secure civil rights in the workplace and community, and to engage UNITE HERE members in developing as leaders.
UNITE HERE is a labor union leading the fight to organize hundreds of thousands of low-wage workers -- many of them African Americans, Latino and Asian immigrants, and women -- in hospitality jobs throughout North America. Our 300,000-member union is at the forefront of battles for workers' rights, immigration reform, living wages, and quality jobs in many cities throughout North America.
Job Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Support the Vice-President and department staff in developing plans and coordinating with other UNITE HERE departments and priority campaigns.
- Connect broader progressive community to UNITE HERE priority campaigns. Maintain roster of national allies and communicate with them as needed.
- Interact with external as well as internal contacts at all levels of the organization.
- Develop written materials and PowerPoint presentations to document the work of the department.
- Maintain meeting schedule – including scheduling and rescheduling meetings as necessary.
- Assist in planning and coordinating events, including trainings, conferences, and regional meetings.
- With communications team, develop promotional/explanatory materials for department activities, press statements, update website, etc.
- Provide support for department budget development and oversight as requested.
- Manage consultant contracts and external grants, especially the California Department of Social Services immigration outreach grants. Apply every year, distribute funds, submit quarterly reports to state.
- Interface with affiliate leaders to recruit for events, prepare speakers, assist in passage of legislation.
- Prior equivalent work experience.
- Experience with or knowledge of labor unions plus civil and/or immigrant rights activist experience.
- Proven organizational skills with the ability to be flexible and adapt to rapid changes
- Demonstrated independent judgment is required to manage competing priorities.
- Willingness to work long hours and be flexible with scheduling.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experienced with Excel and PowerPoint.
- Exceptional interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Capable of multi-tasking in a fast-paced organization.
- Proven experience at working independently with minimal supervision and as part of a team to complete assignments.
- Able to travel locally, and occasionally accompany the General VP to remote meetings.
- Spanish language proficiency highly desirable.
Salary Range: $60-80k, commensurate with experience.
Benefits: UNITE HERE offers exceptional benefits, including family medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage with no employee premiums, retirement funds (401k and pension), and generous paid time off.
Location: Washington DC, New York City or San Francisco/Bay Area. Other locations may be possible as UNITE HERE has local affiliates in many US cities (https://unitehere.org/who-we-are/affiliates/). If you are applying for a location other those listed below, please choose "Multiple Locations" option and indicate location in your application materials.
UNITE HERE has extensive COVID Health & Safety protocols in place and are available upon request. Offices are currently open; occasional hybrid work accommodations are available depending on circumstances.
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.