Position Description: Management of the daily operations of the Finance Department in areas of Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Receipts, Reporting, and other areas, as needed. Provides strong leadership, ensures accuracy of transactions, and promotes efficiency in processes and procedures. Ensure that all financial activities meet generally accepted accounting principles and adhere to policies of the IU and the Finance Department and all appropriate governmental agencies and oversight bodies. Supervises exempt and non-exempt accounting staff of the Finance Department.
Job responsibilities will include:
- Oversees essential department functions, such as Accounts Payable, disbursements, receipts, billings, recording transactions, internal and external government reporting.
- Responsible for the monthly closing, Aging Report, bank reconciliation and preparation of financial reports and year-end financial reports in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Primary liaison with vendors and other departments.
- Recommends policies, procedures, and processes to ensure compliance with all regulatory agencies reporting requirements, including but not limited to the IRS and Department of Labor.
- Proactively seeks opportunities to improve, streamline general accounting processes and procedures and implement sound internal controls.
- Reviews and processes invoices, employee expense reimbursements, receipts, bank reconciliation.
- Monitors daily cash flow.
- Cross-training with other functional areas of Finance, i.e., General Ledger, Payroll and Financial reporting.
- Assists in the year-end financial audits and other audits.
- Documents workflows
- Provides training to staff.
- Performs other duties as required.
Desired Qualifications include:
- Passion for, and a commitment to, fighting for workers' rights and/or a history of activism.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, with 5 years of Accounting work experience, in a supervisory or managerial role.
- Proficiency in Sage Intacct, a cloud-based Financial Management; Concur E-Invoicing and Expensify Expense Management system
- Extensive knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles
- Proven supervisory / leadership skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong experience in regulatory reporting such as 1099-NEC, 990s.
- Proven ability to learn new reporting requirements i.e. LM-2
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work and interact with departments and divisions throughout the organization.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- Some travel required.
TO APPLY: Please send your resume, cover letter, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Positions include excellent health and retirement benefits.
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.