Executive Assistant - Department for Immigration, Diversity and Civil Rights
Reports to: General Vice President for Immigration, Diversity and Civil Rights
Bargaining Unit: Non bargaining
The Executive Assistant will provide administrative and programmatic support for UNITE HERE’s Department for Immigration, Diversity and Civil Rights. They will support a team that works to influence public policy, to secure civil rights in the workplace and community, and to engage UNITE HERE members in developing as leaders. Will maintain roster of national allies and communicate with them as needed. Will perform duties such as developing reports/presentations on activities, maintaining meeting schedule, coordinating meetings/conferences, attending to media requests, prioritizing non-routine correspondence. Will interact with external as well as internal contacts at all levels of the organization. Independent judgment is required to manage competing priorities.
Job Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
• Support the Vice-President and department staff in developing plans and coordinating with other UNITE HERE departments and priority campaigns.
• Provide support to other staff in the department as needed.
• Develop written materials and PowerPoint presentations to document the work of the department.
• Maintain meeting schedule – including scheduling and rescheduling meetings as necessary.
• Answer/respond to incoming calls.
• Assist in planning and coordinating events, including trainings, conferences, and regional meetings.
• Assist with travel arrangements.
• Handle confidential and non-routine information with sensitivity.
• Conduct background research as requested to prepare for meetings.
• Communicate about our work in writing and occasionally as a representative of the Department for Immigration, Diversity and Civil Rights
• Provide support with budget oversight as requested.
• Prior equivalent work experience.
• Experience with or knowledge of labor unions plus civil and/or immigrant rights activist experience.
• Proven organizational skills with the ability to be flexible and adapt to rapid changes.
• Willingness to work long hours and be flexible with scheduling.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Experienced with Excel, PowerPoint and graphic design software (InDesign)
• Exceptional interpersonal and teamwork skills.
• Capable of multi-tasking in a fast-paced organization.
• Proven experience at working independently with minimal supervision and as part of a team to complete assignments.
• Able to travel locally, and occasionally accompany the General VP to remote meetings.
• Spanish language skills highly desirable.
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.