UNITE HERE is a progressive labour union, dedicated to creating greater equality and opportunity for workers in the hospitality industry. Communications Specialists are embedded in local worker campaigns and play a crucial role in designing comprehensive communications strategies using digital platforms, earned media and multi-media tools to raise the visibility of worker struggles. As a Communications Specialist with UNITE HERE Local 40, you will be part of a team that empowers people in low-wage service sector jobs to achieve better wages and benefits, dignity and basic rights at work.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Developing, in collaboration with union leadership and members, messaging and materials for effective communication with news media, the general public, union members and allies;
- Developing and leading strategic communication plans for contract, organizing and other advocacy campaigns;
- Planning and implementing earned media outreach, including pitching news stories, organizing media events, such as press conferences;
- Maintaining Local 40’s social media accounts by sourcing, writing, calendaring and publishing engaging content;
- Writing leaflets, newsletters, website- and e-advocacy content, news releases, fact sheets, social media posts and other content;
- Managing the production of internal member communications in print and on digital platforms, such as mass texting and emailing;
- Working with union members in spokesperson trainings, interviews, and participating in events and actions;
- Documenting events and actions, including taking photos and video, and posting real-time content to social media platforms;
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and the fight for workers’ rights;
- BA degree or relevant work experience, with a minimum of one-year experience working in communications.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the capacity to meaningfully engage with and frame issues for people of diverse backgrounds and life experiences;
- Ability and willingness to travel and work occasional long- or irregular hours during times of critical campaign need;
- Proven ability to effectively manage a workload with competing priorities and deadlines;
- Experience using Creative Suite, Action Network, Mobile Commons, Hustle and/or other communications software/platforms a plus.
- Drivers license.
To apply for this position: please email your resume, cover letter and a sample of your work (or a link to a website portfolio of your work) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.