Confidential Administrative Assistant - Local 23
UNITE HERE Local 23 is a growing local union with a diverse membership working in hospitality positions in food production, hotel, and airport jobs. We are seeking an experienced Administrator for our local union chapter in Atlanta.
Local 23 is a UNITE HERE affiliate representing hospitality workers in over 12 states including the District of Columbia. For more information: https://www.facebook.com/UniteHereLocal23/
UNITE HERE is a progressive labor union, fighting for dignity, living wages and affordable health care for low wage hospitality workers. Our 270,000 members work primarily in hotels, food service, casinos and gaming. Through organizing and winning good contracts, UNITE HERE members have made hundreds of thousands of traditionally low-wage jobs into good, family-sustaining, middle class jobs. UNITE HERE boasts a diverse membership - largely Latino and Asian immigrants and African Americans – with a majority being women. www.unitehere.org
Job Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
• Assists in the performance of general administrative duties, including answering member phone calls and emails, handling incoming/outgoing mail, filing.
• Maintains and orders supplies and equipment for the office.
• Greets walk-in members, asks questions to understand workers’ issues or complaint, forwards to the appropriate department.
• Intake of grievance calls to the main grievance hotline
• Maintains physical contract a grievance files
• Reviews expense reimbursements for processing
• Processes membership cards
• Creates leaflets and flyers for actions.
• Assists in planning and coordinating events (such as trainings, conferences, organizing drives)
• Assists with other projects as needed, in collaboration with NY-based administrative team.
• Handles confidential and non-routine information with sensitivity
• Union activist or knowledge of labor unions through community, political, or other social activist experience.
• Experience working in a similar administrative role preferred, but not required.
• Proven organizational skills and attention to detail with the ability to be flexible and adapt to rapid changes.
• Proven experience at working independently with minimal supervision and as part of a team to complete assignments.
• Strong basic math skills required
• Strong computer skills. Knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel, photo and/or video-editing software required.
• Exceptional interpersonal and teamwork skills. Able to work with others of diverse backgrounds.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Willing and able to travel to appropriate work sites, and to work long and irregular hours
• Valid driver’s license
Union or nonprofit experience helpful.
Salary and Benefits:
Comprehensive benefits package includes free family health, dental, pharmacy and vision, paid time off and retirement benefits.
TO APPLY: Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.