Communications Specialist (Digital)
Location: IU / Philadelphia, Boston, Washington DC area, Detroit, Baltimore
Bargaining Unit: UUHS - Level 1
Reports to: Director of Communications
Benefits: Robust and free including a pension plan.
UNITE HERE's Digital Communications Specialist will play a crucial role in designing comprehensive communications strategies using digital platforms to raise the visibility of worker struggles. UNITE HERE's Digital Communications Specialist will be responsible for supporting all aspects of UNITE HERE's social media program and aid in the development and implementation of communications strategies across online platforms for the international union and local campaigns. As a Digital Communications Specialist with UNITE HERE, you will be embedded in live worker campaigns on the ground, helping workers in low-wage service sector jobs to achieve better wages and benefits, dignity and basic rights at work.
Job Responsibilities (including but not limited to)
• Maintain UNITE HERE’s social media accounts (including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram) by sourcing, writing, calendaring, and publishing engaging content
• Engage with individuals and organizations in conversation social platforms
• Assist in development and implementation of strategic digital campaigns, on social media, email, and other platforms;
• Participate on the ground in campaigns as necessary, helping craft strategy and message as it applies to social media;
• Plan and implement training programs to increase union capacity in social media: both basic skills training and strategic campaign work in consultation with campaign staff;
• Compile and report platform analytics.
Job Requirements / Qualifications
• Bachelor's degree;
• Minimum of one year experience working in digital communications;
• A strong portfolio of original online content with a proven track record of engagement
• Excellent written communications skills, including writing and copy editing;
• Proven ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment;
• Experience using Action Network, Mobile Commons or other bulk e-mail/texting services;
• Ability and willingness to travel and work occasional long- or irregular hours during times of critical campaign need;
• Energetic self-starter with good interpersonal and collaborative teamwork skills;
• Demonstrated commitment to social justice and prior work experience with grassroots advocacy campaigns.
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.