Bargaining Unit: Non- Bargaining Unit
Reports to: IU Secretary - Treasurer
The Chief Auditor manages the audit team and leads the delivery of the audit plan. The role involves implementing strategies to ensure consistent union-wide adherence to UNITEHERE policies and procedures in order to safeguard the Union’s assets, verify the accuracy and reliability of its accounting data, and promote the prescribed Union policies and procedures. The Chief Auditor will also confirm that the activities of the audit team meet generally acceptable accounting procedures and are in compliance with the policies of UNITEHERE and any relevant government agencies and oversight bodies.
Scope of Audits:
The successful candidate must be able to audit 17 affiliates within the timeframe established by the UNITE HERE Constitution, and be able to complete special assignments when required. In addition, the candidate must be able to review approximately twenty-five (25) audits performed by external Certified Public Accountants and submit annual reports to the UNITE HERE Executive Officers and attorneys.
Job Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
• Provide vision, leadership, planning, project coordination and management for the development of a cost-effective department while concurrently facilitating efficient operations to meet current and future business needs within the Audit department.
• Ensure continuity and successful delivery of functional services to [# of] affiliates throughout the organization.
• Develop audit plans and programs, identify internal control weaknesses and provide feasible recommendations to address identified weaknesses.
• Establish an effective mechanism for reporting audit findings, recommendations, and progress reports on the implementation of prior recommendations to senior management, all appropriate government agencies, and any relevant oversight bodies.
• Coordinate and cooperate with the local union officers and staff in order to provide them with assistance when requested.
• Build a professional rapport with the local union officers and staff.
• Liaise and work closely with CPA’s, external auditors, and regulators on audit-related matters.
• Prepare and provide documentation regarding Surety Bond claims.
• Perform ad-hoc reviews when necessary.
• Create and maintain audit schedules.
• Verify the corrective and preventive actions needed and provide guidance and assistance on creation and implementation of such procedures.
• Discuss findings with appropriate leaders of areas evaluated.
• Demonstrate leadership and project management skills when leading audits by identifying project tasks and assigning them to audit resources in order to ensure that projects adhere to budgets and schedules.
• Provide performance feedback and coaching to audit team members.
• Motivate all staff to pursue department goals and engage with the Union’s core mission.
• College degree in finance or accounting is preferred, and a thorough knowledge of accounting procedures and best practices is required.
• Minimum of 10 years of auditing or related experience. Three to five years' supervisory experience is preferred.
• Experience with auditing at a labor union required. Specifically, experience completing IRS Form 990s and Department of Labor LMs is necessary.
• Willingness to travel domestically and internationally (40-60%).
• Ability to work effectively in a team environment. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated record of strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Adherence to strict standards of confidentiality.
• Strong PC software skills (QuickBooks, MS Word, Excel, Access for PC).
• Ability to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously.
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.