Warning messageThis position is no longer available. Thank you for your interest in working with UNITE HERE.
Position Summary: UNITE HERE is a progressive labor union, dedicated to creating greater equality and opportunity for workers in the North American hospitality industry. UNITE HERE’s Legislative Department carries the voice of workers and their families to Capitol Hill, essential opinion leaders, and the general public through various day-to-day activities aimed at the various stakeholders involved in the legislative process. As a Legislative Assistant with UNITE HERE, you can be part of a team that builds power for working families and enables workers to achieve better wages and benefits, dignity and basic rights at work. The Legislative Assistant reports to the Legislative Director, who also serves as the union’s Political Director, and focuses on using every available means of communication, persuasion, coalition building and related tactics and strategies to support legislative efforts on Capitol Hill and in member districts. Day-to-day responsibilities will include attending key meetings on Capitol Hill, follow up and day-to-day contact programs, tracking key legislation, coordinating with the press secretary, administrative duties in support of the Legislative Director, and more.
- Monitor and track legislation;
- Work with all key allies and stakeholders;
- Develop and maintain a contact program with key allies;
- Coordinate with local affiliates on their legislative needs;
- Coordinate with research and press operation;
- Provide necessary administrative support for the Legislative Director;
- Attend meetings, see to appropriate follow up;
- Maintain regular internal communication on legislative and political matters that impact the union;
- Assist the Legislative Director with the management and execution of events such as lobby days, key meetings, grassroots events and the like;
- Establish effective partnerships at all levels of the organization;
- Work collaboratively with UNITE HERE allies and coalition;
- Rapidly respond in a complex and fast-paced organization;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience preferred;
- One to three to years’ experience with administrative and/or legislative exposure, preferably with a social justice or progressive background;
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills;
- Excellent verbal communications skills;
- Must be self-driven and comfortable working in a lean organization where everyone does a little bit of everything;
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to lead through influence and network;
- Able to keep a level head during crisis;
- Flexibility with work schedule; this position may require evening and some weekend work;
- Ability to work well under pressure while simultaneously handling multiple projects to meet tight deadlines;
- Personal interest in and commitment to worker rights required;
- Spanish fluency a plus;
- Strong skills with Microsoft Office applications (Word and Outlook) and social media.
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.