Communications Specialist - Detroit
UNITE HERE is a progressive labor union, dedicated to creating greater equality and opportunity for workers in the North American hospitality industry. Communications Specialists play a crucial role in designing comprehensive communications strategies using digital platforms, earned media, and multi-media tools to raise the visibility of worker struggles. As a Communications Specialist with UNITE HERE, you will be part of a team that empowers people in low-wage service sector jobs to achieve better wages and benefits, dignity, and basic rights at work.
Job Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Developing, in collaboration with union leadership and members, messaging and materials for effective communication with news media, the general public, worker members, and allies;
- Developing and leading strategic communications plans for organizing, contract, and other advocacy campaigns;
- Planning and implementing earned media outreach, including pitching news articles, organizing media events such as press conferences, meet-and-greets, etc.;
- Writing leaflets, bulletins, website- and e-advocacy content, social media posts, news releases, fact sheets, talking points, speeches, paid ads, and other materials;
- Managing the production of internal member communications in print and on digital platforms, such as mass texting and emailing;
- Working closely with union members in spokesperson trainings, interviews, photo- and video shoots, and participating in events and actions;
- Documenting events and actions, including taking photos and video, and posting real-time content to social media platforms.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and the fight for workers’ rights;
- BA degree or relevant work experience, with a minimum of one year in media relations, public affairs, or campaign communications;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the capacity to meaningfully engage with and frame issues for people of different backgrounds, races, ethnicities, income levels, life experiences, etc.;
- Ability and willingness to travel and work occasional long- or irregular hours during times of critical campaign need;
- Ability to effectively manage a workload with competing priorities and deadlines;
- Fluency in Spanish a plus;
- Experience using with Action Network, Mobile Commons, Hustle, Slack and/or other mobile communications software/platforms a plus.
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual preference, gender identity or gender expression.