Warning messageThis position is no longer available. Thank you for your interest in working with UNITE HERE.
UNITE HERE is a progressive labor union, dedicated to creating greater equality and opportunity for workers in the North American hospitality industry. UNITE HERE’s Communications Department carries the voice of workers and their families to the media, to leaders and the general public through various media and communications outlets. As a Press Secretary with UNITE HERE, you will be part of a team that builds power for working families and enables workers to achieve better wages and benefits, dignity and basic rights at work.
Position Summary: The Press Secretary reports to the Director of Communications and focuses on using the media to lift up the work of our Union and win strategic campaigns. Day-to-day responsibilities will include pitching, monitoring, researching and responding to news on union-related campaigns and policy matters, as well as providing messaging guidance.
- Provide media support for strategic campaigns.
- Have a proven network of media outlets.
- Work with media in positive and adverse situations, including extensive pitching.
- Write news releases, advisories, talking points, statements, fact sheets and background pieces, as needed.
- Monitor, research and respond to news on union-related campaigns and policy matters.
- Cultivate ongoing relationships with reporters and producers at national news outlets—online, print, TV and radio.
- Place UNITE HERE principals and members in print stories and on TV and radio.
- Collaborate with Political/Legislative Director and other leaders as needed.
- Assist the Director of Communications with the management and execution of events such as press conferences, media availabilities and editorial board meetings.
- Create a system for circulating key placements and coverage affecting UNITE HERE internally, in consultation with the Director of Communications.
- Establish effective partnerships at all levels of the organization.
- Work collaboratively with UNITE HERE allies and coalition partners to generate press opportunities and optimal coverage.
- Rapidly respond in a complex and fast-paced organization.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience preferred;
- Three to five years’ experience with organizational communications, preferably in a political or social justice setting;
- Demonstrated superior writing skills including experience writing Op-Eds, press releases and other media related materials;
- Ability to anticipate needs and plan accordingly.
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills;
- Excellent verbal communications skills;
- Excellent analytical and creative skills;
- Must be self-driven and well-versed in developing communication materials, and must be eager to pitch extensively;
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to lead through influence and network;
- Highly professional demeanor;
- Able to keep a level head during crisis;
- Flexibility with work schedule; this position requires frequent evening and some weekend work;
- Ability to travel 10-20% of the time;
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure while simultaneously handling multiple projects to meet tight deadlines;
- Personal interest in and commitment to worker rights required;
- Spanish fluency a plus;
- Strong skills with Microsoft Office applications (Word and Outlook) and social media.
Non-Bargaining Unit Location: Washington D.C. Reports to: Director of Communications
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.