Bookkeeper - Shared Services Center
At UNITE HERE, we engage in ambitious and innovative projects to organize and support hospitality workers. Our financial and administrative teams based in New York are dedicated professionals with a strong commitment to our mission, if you are a creative problem-solver interested in learning more about non-profit and labor union financials, who can both run routine operations and try new things in a fast-moving organization, you will love working with us.
The Bookkeeper will be responsible for bookkeeping tasks for multiple Participating Affiliates (PAs) according to the unique practices of each PA and the unique Shared Services Agreements (SSAs) between UNITE HERE and each PA. The Bookkeeper will work with Participating Affiliates to comply with UNITE HERE International Union legal and ethical practices and standards when bookkeeping tasks are being completed.
Job Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Prepare weekly disbursements
- Prepare weekly receipts and deposits
- Prepare weekly, bi-weekly or semi-monthly payroll(s)
- Maintain general ledger
- Reconcile monthly bank statements
- Prepare monthly financial reports
- Provide quarterly and annual payroll reports
- Create and provide reports and/or information to auditors and accountants
- Communicate with Affiliates regarding routine matters using email templates and composing original emails
- Compose emails summarizing bookkeeping issues for Affiliates and Leads; maintain a process to follow up on such issues
- Maintain a calendar; adjusting for workflow issues; customize calendar to meet the needs of individual Locals
- Maintain Batch Deposit Reconciliation Chart and match to deposit totals when monthly financials are prepared
- Maintain electronic files according to the Shared Service Center protocol
- Complete multiple responsibilities daily
- Performs related tasks and projects as assigned
- Formal or on-the-job training in bookkeeping practices; may include business school, vocational school or college courses
Good communication skills
- Proficient in QuickBooks, Microsoft Office especially Excel, Word and Outlook
- 2-3 years’ experience in bookkeeping
- Ability to perform detail work with speed and accuracy
- Ability to prioritize tasks regarding multiple work assignments effectively for on-time completion
- Ability to work independently
- Problem-solver; critical thinking skills
- Good keyboarding, ability to enter data accurately and efficiently
- Ability to prepare financial and other records in a systematic and logical manner
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Benefits: UNITE HERE offers a comprehensive benefits package (valued at $46,400 for family coverage) and employee pays 0$ in premium. Benefits include family medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage, retirement funds (401k and pension), and generous paid time off.
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.