Bookkeeper - Shared Services Center
The Bookkeeper is an integral part of our Shared Services Center team, responsible for bookkeeping tasks for multiple accounts, according to the unique practices of each account. Assists accounts to comply with UNITE HERE International Union legal and ethical practices and standards.
At UNITE HERE, we engage in ambitious and innovative projects to support hospitality workers. Our financial and administrative teams based in New York are dedicated professionals with a strong commitment to our mission. UNITE HERE empowers workers - primarily women and people of color - in low-wage service sector jobs to achieve better wages, benefits, dignity, and rights at work. If you are a creative problem-solver interested in learning more about non-profit and labor union financials, who can both manage routine operations and try new things in a fast-moving organization, you will love working with us. (www.unitehere.org)
Job Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Prepare weekly disbursements, weekly receipts, and deposits.
- Prepare weekly, bi-weekly, or semi-monthly payroll(s).
- Maintain general ledger.
- Reconcile monthly bank statements.
- Prepare monthly financial reports.
- Provide quarterly and annual payroll reports.
- Create and provide reports and/or information to auditors and accountants.
- Compose emails summarizing bookkeeping issues for assigned accounts and leadership; maintain a process to follow up on such issues.
- Maintain a calendar; adjusting for workflow issues; customizing calendar to meet the needs of assigned groups.
- Maintain and match deposit totals when monthly financials are prepared.
- Maintain electronic files according to department protocol.
- Performs related tasks and projects as assigned.
- Formal or on-the-job training in bookkeeping practices; may include business school, vocational school or college courses.
- Good communication skills
- Proficient in QuickBooks, Microsoft Office especially Excel, Word, and Outlook
- 2-3 years’ experience in bookkeeping
- Ability to perform detail work with speed and accuracy
- Ability to prioritize tasks regarding multiple work assignments effectively for on-time completion.
- Ability to work independently.
- Problem-solver; critical thinking skills
- Good keyboarding, ability to enter data accurately and efficiently.
- Ability to prepare financial and other records in a systematic and logical manner.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Interest in UNITE HERE’s mission.
Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Benefits: UNITE HERE offers a comprehensive benefits package (valued at $46,400 for family coverage) and employee pays 0$ in premium. Benefits include family medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage, retirement funds (401k and pension), and generous paid time off.
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.