Be a part of a movement of low wage workers that is confronting corporate greed and mistreatment of workers!
UNITE HERE seeks a committed person to be a FairHotel Organizer. Similar to Fair Trade programs, FairHotel leverages consumer power to reward good union employers and sanction bad ones. FairHotel Organizers identify, recruit, and develop and manage relationships with conferences, expos, and other large hotel customers to become FairHotel Partners. The Organizer will strategize to increase the number of FairHotel Organizational Partners. This program will assist Partners in finding union hotels and help them avoid labor disputes. FairHotel Organizers help organize customers during comprehensive campaigns by providing support with social media outreach plans, and boycott enforcement. (www.fairhotel.org)
The work is typically 60% - Recruiting new FairHotel Partners, managing current relationships, and working with UNITE HERE members, 40% - Research and campaign communications and social media related work.
UNITE HERE is a progressive union that represents more than 270,000 workers employed in hotels, restaurants, airports, sports arenas, and convention centers throughout Canada and the United States. Our members are raising the standards of low-wage, service sector jobs, and winning dignity and respect on the job through solidarity and action. (www.unitehere.org).
- Must have passion for low wage and other worker struggles
- Experience working in collaboration with union member leaders a plus
- Must have previous activist experience -- boycott experience, community organizing, direct action organizing a plus
- Must be assertive and have excellent language, writing and computer skills
- Willingness to travel extensively, to work long and sometimes irregular hours, and relocate as necessary
- Digital organizing a plus
- Driver’s license--willing and able to drive
- Must have good attention to detail and follow-up with FairHotel Partners in a timely manner
Duties Include (but are not limited to):
- Researching hotel and casino clients
- Promoting the FairHotel Program
- Recruiting/developing/maintaining FairHotel Partners through phone calls, meetings and attendance at conferences to use their consumer power to help improve industry standards
- Preparing UNITE HERE members to speak at FairHotel events or meetings
- Working with community allies and labor allies who are also clients of hotels
- Responding to phone calls and e-mails from Partners and potential Partners in a timely manner regarding labor forecasts
Salary: Range $51,000-$59,000 based on experience.
Benefits: UNITE HERE offers a comprehensive benefits package (valued at $46,400 for family coverage) and employee pays $0 in premiums. Benefits include family medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage, retirement funds (both 401k and defined benefit pension), and generous paid time off. New Hires will accrue a maximum of 5 personal days, 4 floating holidays, 8 named holidays, 15 vacation days and 8 sick days.
Please note that UNITE HERE requires all staff to be fully vaccinated unless granted a medical or religious exemption as set forth in EEOC guidelines.
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.