Senior Software Developer
UNITE HERE seeks a Senior Software Developer to build, integrate and support software tools to enable the Union’s campaigns. Our technology teams based in the New York metropolitan area and across the country are dedicated professionals with a strong commitment to our mission. If you are a creative problem-solver looking to help build and support the next generation of labor union technology and try new things in a fast-moving organization, you will love working with us.
UNITE HERE is a progressive, member-driven, not-for-profit union, dedicated to organizing workers in the hospitality industry to lift workplace standards in hotels, casinos, airports, and cafeterias across the United States and Canada. You will be part of a team that empowers workers - primarily women and people of color - in low-wage service sector jobs to achieve better wages, benefits, dignity, and rights at work.
Summary: The Senior Software Developer is a senior-level role for a full-stack developer who can be a team anchor and bring a range of past experience in design and process in addition to writing code in many environments. We are building our foundational team, transitioning to an in-house team rather than relying heavily on 3rd parties for software development.
The Senior Software Developer will specialize in either Support (upgrading, improving supportability, or fixing and troubleshooting existing tools) or Development (developing new tools, adding new features, or enhancing existing features). In either case, the Sr. Software Developer will work both in the tools and help drive the direction of the Union’s technical program, and will also work with technical staff at Local Unions, Consultants, or Vendors to advance the goals of the end user. UNITE HERE has a very varied set of stacks; over time, the Sr. Software Developer will get exposure to many tools and contribute to the technical roadmap for the different solutions.
Job Responsibilities In the support, maintenance, and new development of software:
- Develop new features, enhance existing features, upgrade packages, improve supportability, and fix or troubleshoot on UNITE HERE’s software suite
- Collaborate with team members and clients to support required applications
- Review code work for accuracy and functionality
- Analyze and optimize code segments regularly; perform performance monitoring
- Create and implement design plans
- Collaborate with product owners and subject matter experts to create realistic and prioritized implementation plans; communicate plans, progress and risks
- Contribute to longer-term IT program planning
- Delegate tasks to team members
- Keep up to date with industry trends and technology developments.
- Motivation to work for economic and social justice
- Degree in information technology or computer science, or equivalent experience
- Extensive knowledge of software development and its technologies
- At least 5 years relevant development experience, 10+ years preferred
- Knowledge of/experience with a varied set of three or more of these technologies:
- Back-end development – C#, .NET, Ruby, MS SQL, XML/JSON Parsing, creating & consuming REST web services, AWS RDS
- Platforms – Azure, AWS, Windows, Linux; Docker; Terraform
- Test Automation/CI/CD tools such as Azure DevOps or Jenkins
- Knowledge of Agile/Lean/Scrum methodologies
- Experience using source control such as Git on a team project
- Occasional travel, up to four times a year
- Hybrid work arrangements can be accommodated
- Expectation of participation of core Union activities
Full application must include cover letter for applicant to be considered. Please be sure to describe your motivation to work for economic and social justice.
Salary: $75,000 - $95,000 commensurate with experience
Benefits: UNITE HERE offers a comprehensive benefits package (valued at $46,400 for family coverage) and employee pays 0$ in premium. Benefits include family medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage, retirement funds (401k and defined benefit pension), and generous paid time off.
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.