Warning messageThis position is no longer available. Thank you for your interest in working with UNITE HERE.
The Political Organizer will work closely with our National Political Director to build power and opportunity for union growth for hospitality workers through policy and political organizing at the federal level.
UNITE HERE is a progressive labor union, fighting for dignity, living wages and affordable health care for low wage hospitality workers. Our 300,000 members work primarily in hotels, food service, casinos and gaming, and are majority women and BIPOC. We are at the forefront of battles for workers' rights, living wages, and quality jobs in cities throughout North America.
Job Responsibilities include:
- Assist Political Director with priority policy and political organizing projects on immigration, healthcare and those impacting our core industries: hotels, food service, casinos and gaming, and textiles and laundry.
- Analyze state and federal policy that impacts hospitality workers and our organizing efforts
- Engage in projects that impact our members in the D.C. area, such as area airports, hotels, and cafeterias, along with federally-funded new developments in UNITE HERE industries.
- Attend briefings and legislative meetings, including political fundraisers.
- Work closely with UNITE HERE locals in D.C., Maryland and Virginia.
- Motivate and inspire union members who are primarily women and working-class people of color; engage them in political education and direct lobbying and actions.
- Represent UNITE HERE’s priorities in interactions with external as well as internal contacts at all levels of the organization.
- Develop reports and presentations.
- Occasionally coordinate meetings/conferences
- 1-3 years in union, immigration rights or civil rights organizing and/or 1-3 years as union member building own union
- Passion for and commitment to fighting for workers' rights
- Willingness to work long hours and ability to work a flexible schedule
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage a workload with competing priorities and deadlines in a fast- moving organization
- Ability to travel locally, and occasionally take short-term assignments away from home base to support political and union organizing campaigns
- Spanish language skills highly desirable
Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary: $48,000-$58,000 range commensurate with experience. UNITE HERE offers exceptional benefits, including family medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage with no employee premiums, retirement funds (401k and pension), and generous paid time off.
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.