Warning messageThis position is no longer available. Thank you for your interest in working with UNITE HERE.
Join the fight for workers’ rights and dignity on the job! Data Organizers are a key part of our campaign and training teams, working hand-in-hand with Organizers to get them the real-time information they need to win for working people. We jump into fast-paced campaigns and also establish data systems that build institutional memory to support worker organizing efforts.
OUR TEAM We support contract fights, strikes, new organizing campaigns, and political campaigns. We do some back-office work, digging into our spreadsheets so that organizing teams can focus on people—and we also work in the field, providing real-time numbers for big organizing moments. We also train Organizers on database tools, prioritizing Organizers who struggle with technology. We work in person with local union staff where we live, support many other locals remotely, and travel regularly to campaign locations across the U.S. and Canada. On every campaign, we make sure that Organizers have the information they need to make smart, strategic decisions. When workers go on strike, we track who’s walking the picket line. On political campaigns, we provide canvassers with lists of doors to knock, and make sure that we’re on track to hit our goals by election day. In everything we do, we train our top worker leaders and staff in data organization while also digging in to meet the campaign’s urgent needs. You will be trained and supported by an experienced Lead Data Organizer and will work closely with a growing team of Data Organizers around the U.S. and Canada to share skills and tactics.
OUR UNION: UNITE HERE is a progressive labor union, dedicated to organizing the unorganized and lifting workplace standards in hotels, casinos, airports, and cafeterias across the United States and Canada. You will be part of a team that empowers workers - primarily women and people of color - in low-wage service sector jobs to achieve better wages, benefits, dignity, and rights at work.
Job Responsibilities include:
- Create data plans, set up data entry systems, and develop status reports for Organizing campaigns.
- Travel to campaign hotspots to provide real-time data for the next day’s organizing.
- Design and produce reports on organizing status, such as the number of workers in each department of a casino who are ready to take action.
- Compile large or disparate data sets into meaningful forms using Pivot Tables, VLOOKUP, or other tools.
- Work with team to implement new Organizer-focused database in multiple cities and train Organizers ranging from tech-savvy to tech-phobic on desktop and mobile tools.
- Train union staff on database software, data management, and analysis using a prepared curriculum or in the course of answering an Organizer’s question.
- Trouble-shoot a range of data and technology questions from Organizers in a professional and timely manner.
Desired Job Qualifications:
- Dedication to social and economic justice and to building a strong labor movement.
- Two years of developing worker leaders in a union campaign setting OR two years of campaign-based data work.
- Skill in building relationships and working with others to achieve goals.
- Ability to develop and proof training materials.
- Experience leading collaborative projects.
- Ability to work independently and multi-task.
- Good presentation skills and demonstrated ability to teach others.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel and a willingness to learn more.
- Experience with CRM databases preferred (such as Salesforce, NGP Van, Access, Filemaker, Raiser’s Edge, etc.)
- Willingness to work from your local union office on a regular basis. We work a hybrid schedule: some days working in our local union offices, and some remote from home.
- Eagerness to travel: we travel up to 40% of the time (which is usually when we get to work on the most exciting campaigns with our members).
- Driver’s license and willingness to drive (or willingness to get a license in the first six months of employment).
- Ability to work long and irregular hours during times of critical campaign need.
- Bilingual Spanish / English
Salary: Range $51,000-$59,000 based on experience (California salary is $64,480 and NYC salary is $58,500 due to cost of living).
UNITE HERE offers a comprehensive benefits package (valued at $46,400 for family coverage) and employee pays 0$ in premium. Benefits include family medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage, retirement funds (401k and defined benefit pension), and generous paid time off.
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.