Customer Campaign Organizer
Warning messageThis position is no longer available. Thank you for your interest in working with UNITE HERE.
Be a part of the movement of low wage workers that is confronting corporate greed and mistreatment of workers! We are seeking a committed activist to join our national team of Customer Campaign Organizers. Customer campaign organizing is a critical piece of our union's comprehensive campaigns. Our members are raising the standards of low-wage, service sector jobs and winning dignity and respect on the job through solidarity and action.
UNITE HERE is a progressive union that represents more than 270,000 workers employed in hotels, restaurants, airports, sports arenas, and convention centers throughout Canada and the United States. (www.unitehere.org).
Customer Campaign Organizers research hotel, casino and food service companies’ customers, develop strategies to support workers organizing either in new worksites or in contract negotiation campaigns and work with workers and volunteer activists to conduct actions that support these campaigns. Customer Campaign Organizers also work on UNITE HERE’s FairHotel program to identify and recruit FairHotel partners who want to patronize union hotels, avoid labor disputes, and lend support to UNITE HERE campaigns across the U.S. and Canada.
The work is typically 40% - coordinating actions and phone banks to support UNITE HERE campaigns and 60% - research, data collection, record keeping, and drafting reports and other campaign materials.
Duties Include (but are not limited to):
- Researching hotel and casino clients
- Producing reports from database and campaign materials such as leaflets and newsletters
- Communicating with customers and supporters in person, over the phone, and in writing
- Moving clients from labor disputed hotels and casinos
- Working with volunteers and community and labor allies
- Coordinating actions such as leaflets, delegations, marches, and frequent early morning actions
- Passion for low wage and other worker struggles
- Exceptional energy and motivation to do the work
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team/ Strong team building skills
- Previous activist experience -- boycott experience a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Strong computer skills
- Ability to use a database, prepare reports, and produce campaign materials such as leaflets and newsletters.
- Second language skills a plus.
- Must be willing and able to travel to appropriate worksites, to work long hours, including weekends, and to relocate as necessary
- Driver’s license--willing and able to drive
Salary: $51,000 Commensurate with Experience
Benefits: UNITE HERE offers a comprehensive benefits package (valued at $46,400 for family coverage) and employee pays 0$ in premium. Benefits include family medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage, retirement funds (401k and defined benefit pension), and generous paid time off.
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.