Boycott Organizer (Initial Location: Las Vegas)
UNITE HERE seeks a committed activist to be full-time union Boycott Organizer. Be a part of a movement of low wage workers that is confronting corporate greed and mistreatment of workers, raising the standards of service sector jobs, and winning dignity and respect on the job through solidarity and action. Location of initial assignment: Las Vegas.
Boycott Organizers develop strategy to move customers from boycotted properties, work with worker committees and lead teams of volunteer activists to plan and carry out creative actions to help enforce boycotts. The work is typically 40% - Coordinating and executing creative actions at strategic locations to help enforce boycotts and 60% - Research and campaign related work.
Boycotts are a critical piece of our union's comprehensive campaigns. Our members (a majority of whom are women and immigrants) in the hotel and casino industries are standing in solidarity to defend their standards against corporations that are attempting to roll back hard-won decent wages, benefits and respect on the job. Non-union hotel and casino workers are fighting for the right to organize free from management intimidation and retaliation.
• Must have passion for low wage and other worker struggles;
• Must have previous activist experience -- boycott experience a plus;
• Must be assertive and have excellent language, writing and computer skills;
• Applicants must be willing and able to travel to appropriate work sites, and relocate as necessary.
Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
• Researching hotel and casino clients;
• Developing and carrying out strategy to move clients from hotels and casinos that are driving down industry standards;
• Recruiting/developing/maintaining volunteer committees;
• Working with community and labor allies;
• Coordinating actions such as leafleting, delegations and marches, including frequent early morning actions.
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual preference, gender identity or gender expression.