Administrator for Local Chapter - UNITE HERE Local 23 (Possible locations: Atlanta, Houston, Washington, D.C.)
UNITE HERE Local 23 is a growing local union with a diverse membership working in hospitality positions in food production, hotel, and airport jobs. We are seeking an experienced Administrator for our local union chapter in Atlanta.
Local 23 is a UNITE HERE affiliate representing hospitality workers in over 12 states including the District of Columbia. For more information: https://www.facebook.com/UniteHereLocal23/
UNITE HERE is a progressive labor union, fighting for dignity, living wages and affordable health care for low wage hospitality workers. Our 270,000 members work primarily in hotels, food service, casinos and gaming. Through organizing and winning good contracts, UNITE HERE members have made hundreds of thousands of traditionally low-wage jobs into good, family-sustaining, middle class jobs. UNITE HERE boasts a diverse membership - largely Latino and Asian immigrants and African Americans – with a majority being women. www.unitehere.org
• General office maintenance: stock office supplies, maintain the copier/other office equipment, maintain relationships vendors, interact with landlord and security company
• Collect new hire paperwork for staff
• Maintain grievance files, including sending grievance closure notices.
• Member intake – direct walk-ins to grievance department and benefits funds, take messages for organizers
• Maintain chapter membership card files
• Meetings/meeting planning: Book travel, conference rooms, hotel rooms
• Logistical support for actions, meetings and other events as needed. May require travel out-of-town
• Track staff paid time off and expenses
• Order t-shirts, caps, buttons, other materials
• Coordinate staff and office relocations (finding movers, advising staff re. Local policy for travel)
• Facebook and text messaging for DC chapter
• Coordinate mailings: handle smaller mailings directly and coordinate large mailings with the International Union’s communications department
• Provide administrative support on special projects – such as coordinating layoffs resource center, DC relief fund resource center and check distribution
• Support the dues program by running lists from various internal databases, updating databases as needed
Desired Qualifications Include:
• Excellent organizational skills and high capacity for attention to details
• Ability to work independently within the context of a plan
• Good interpersonal and communication skills; must work well with others
• Demonstrated positive problem-solving ability– Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner. Ability to exercise judgment to solve problems on a case by case situation. Positive, figure-it-out attitude
• Experience with membership service – Respond promptly to member’s needs; respond to requests for service and assistance
• Ability to use good judgment on case by case situation; include appropriate people in decision-making process.
• Ability to prioritize and plan work activities and use time efficiently.
• Willingness to take initiative – Volunteer readily; seek increased responsibilities; look for and take advantage of opportunities; ask for and offer help when needed.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Excel, Word, and Access.
• 2 - 3 years’ experience in related field.
All applicants must have a resume with six months of recent office experience and a recent employment reference. Union or nonprofit experience helpful.
Salary and Benefits:
Comprehensive benefit package includes free family health, dental, pharmacy and vision, paid time off and retirement benefits.
TO APPLY: Send cover letter, resume and 3 references to Jen Kim, email@example.com.
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.