Confidential Administrative Assistant - Local 23
Union: UNITE HERE Local 23
Location: New Orleans, LA; Houston, TX; Washington, D.C.
UNITE HERE Local 23 is a growing labor union representing airport concessions, airline catering, hotels, gaming and food service workers across the U.S. (More info available on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UniteHereLocal23/)
We are looking for a dedicated activist for social and economic justice, with demonstrable administrative skills and the ability to learn new skills. This person is responsible for assisting with and coordinating a wide variety of office operations. It requires an individual who is resourceful and highly responsible.
Job Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
• Assists in the performance of general administrative duties, including answering member phone calls and emails, handling incoming/outgoing mail, filing.
• Greets walk-in members, asks questions to understand workers’ issues or complaint, forwards to the appropriate department.
• Maintains and orders supplies and equipment for the office.
• Maintains physical contract files
• Processes membership cards
• Creates leaflets and flyers for actions.
• Assists in planning and coordinating events (such as trainings, conferences, organizing drives)
• Assists with other projects as needed, in collaboration with NY-based administrative team.
• Handles confidential and non-routine information with sensitivity
• Union activist or knowledge of labor unions through community, political, or other social activist experience.
• Experience working in a similar administrative role preferred, but not required.
• Proven organizational skills and attention to detail with the ability to be flexible and adapt to rapid changes.
• Proven experience at working independently with minimal supervision and as part of a team to complete assignments.
• Strong basic math skills required
• Strong computer skills. Knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel, photo and/or video-editing software required.
• Exceptional interpersonal and teamwork skills. Able to work with others of diverse backgrounds.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Willing and able to travel to appropriate work sites, and to work long and irregular hours
• Valid driver’s license
Applications: Please forward cover letter and resume to: Jen Kim (firstname.lastname@example.org)
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.