Lead Administrator - UNITE HERE Local 23 (possible locations: Atlanta, Houston, New York, and Washington, D.C.)
Warning messageThis position is no longer available. Thank you for your interest in working with UNITE HERE.
UNITE HERE Local 23 is a growing local union with a diverse membership working in hospitality positions in food production, hotel, and airport jobs. We are seeking an experienced Lead Administrator to work with our leadership team to coordinate Local 23’s administrative needs. Local 23 is a UNITE HERE affiliate representing hospitality workers in over 12 states including the District of Columbia. For more information: https://www.facebook.com/UniteHereLocal23/
UNITE HERE is a progressive labor union, fighting for dignity, living wages and affordable health care for low wage hospitality workers. Our 270,000 members work primarily in hotels, food service, casinos and gaming. Through organizing and winning good contracts, UNITE HERE members have made hundreds of thousands of traditionally low-wage jobs into good, family-sustaining, middle class jobs. UNITE HERE boasts a diverse membership - largely Latino and Asian immigrants and African Americans – with a majority being women. www.unitehere.org
Position reports to Local 23 leadership team (President, Vice President and Secretary-Treasurer).
• Develop administrative staffing plan.
• Develop / improve the administrative systems of Local 23.
• Oversee the administrative work of Local 23 and those in administrative titles.
• Help facilitate communications between Local 23 and the International Union.
• Meet regularly with local leadership team and administrative team members. Coordinate with Local 23 staff / organizers and officers
• Oversee HR functions (hiring, insurance, FMLA / disability, etc)
• Approve staff travel. Approve invoices for entry into Quickbooks.
• Responsible for Local 23’s grant applications and grant reports.
• Develop Local 23’s annual budget with Local leadership and oversee Local 23 bookkeeping to conform with coding standards.
• Purchase or oversee purchases of new equipment, including cell phones and laptops, for Local 23 staff. Troubleshoots services in coordination with IT phone reps
• Respond to inquiries from auditors and accountants. Works with the outside accountants to file LM-2, 990 and other required financial reports.
• Train new employees on internal bookkeeping and other systems as needed.
**Understand each of the below functions and when necessary, reassign or perform these duties.
• Collection and maintenance of complete and accurate staff paid time off and attendance records.
• Track federal, state and local tax and other filings.
• Dues processing – work with the UNITE HERE Shared Services Center staff to track dues payments. Contact employers when necessary to track dues payments. Track membership card signups for 100% Union program.
• Assist DC trust fund representative with administering Local 23 DC scholarship program.
• Order Local 23 t-shirts, caps, buttons and other supply requests from chapters
• Produce a quarterly newsletter to Local 23 membership with input from chapter leadership
• Send out regular social media, and text updates to Local 23 membership with input from chapter leadership
• Assist in scheduling meetings, video conferences and phone conferences
• Assist organizing and research staff with campaigns and meetings, including finding hotels, arranging travel, ordering supplies, developing materials and providing support on-site, or remotely, outside of 9-5 hours when necessary.
• Coordinate staff relocations (finding movers, advising on Local policy for travel, etc)
• Research possible vendors / general maintenance re: vendors
• Route IT requests. Maintain copiers.
• Coordinate monthly Executive Board and administrative calls
Desired Qualifications Include:
• Excellent organizational skills and high capacity for attention to details
• Ability to work independently within the context of a plan
• Ability to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Demonstrated positive problem-solving ability– Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner. Ability to exercise judgment to solve problems on a case by case situation. Positive, figure-it-out attitude
• Training experience
• Ability to use good judgment on case by case situation; include appropriate people in decision-making process.
• Ability to prioritize and plan work activities and use time efficiently.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Excel, Word, and Access.
• 2 - 3 years’ experience in related field.
Union or nonprofit experience helpful.
Salary and Benefits:
Comprehensive benefit package includes free family health, dental, pharmacy and vision, paid time off and retirement benefits.
To APPLY: Please send resume, cover letter and 3 references to Jen Kim: firstname.lastname@example.org
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.