Boycott Organizer (Initial Location: Baltimore)
Warning messageThis position is no longer available. Thank you for your interest in working with UNITE HERE.
Boycott Coordinators develop strategy to move customers from boycotted properties, work with worker committees and lead teams of volunteer activists to plan and carry out creative actions to help enforce boycotts. The work is typically 30% - Coordinating and executing creative actions at strategic locations to help enforce boycotts and 70% - Research and campaign related work.
Boycotts are a critical piece of our comprehensive campaigns. Across the United States and Canada, our members (a majority of whom are women and immigrants) in the hotel and casino industries are standing in solidarity to defend their standards against corporations that are attempting to roll back hard-won decent wages, benefits and respect on the job. Additionally, non-union hotel workers are fighting for the right to organize free from management intimidation and retaliation.
- Must have passion for low wage and other worker struggles;
- Must have previous activist experience -- boycott experience a plus;
- Must be assertive and have excellent language, writing and computer skills;
- Must be willing and able to travel to appropriate work sites.
- Must be willing to work long hours, including some time on weekends, and to relocate as necessary.
Duties Include (but are not limited to):
- Researching hotel clients;
- Developing and carrying out strategy to move clients from hotels that are driving down industry standards;
- Recruiting/developing/maintaining volunteer committees;
- Working with community and labor allies;
- Coordinating actions such as leafleting, delegations and marches.
Initial location is Baltimore, but position may move in the future.
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.