Communications Specialist - 2018 Contract Campaign
Warning messageThis position is no longer available. Thank you for your interest in working with UNITE HERE.
Summary: UNITE HERE Local 2 is a progressive labor union, dedicated to creating greater equality and opportunity for workers in the San Francisco Bay Area hospitality industry. Communications Specialists are embedded in local worker campaigns and play a crucial role in designing comprehensive communications strategies using digital platforms, earned media, and multi-media tools to raise the visibility of worker struggles. As a Communications Specialist with UNITE HERE Local 2, you can be part of a team that empowers people in low-wage service sector jobs to achieve better wages and benefits, dignity and basic rights at work.
Job Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Framing messages and developing materials for effective communication with the news media, the general public, union members, and other working people and allies
- Developing, planning and leading communication strategies and calendars for organizing, contract and other advocacy campaigns
- Developing and implementing proactive earned media outreach in traditional and new media, planning and organizing media events, and training workers to be spokespersons
- Writing leaflets, bulletins, website and e-advocacy content, news releases, fact sheets, talking points, speeches, paid ads, and other materials
- Managing the production of internal member communications, including a quarterly newsletter, electronic communications using mass texting and email services, and more
- Producing multi-media content for communications, such as photographs and short videos
- Maintaining and updating content to Local 2 websites, social media feeds, and internal electronic archives
- Expanding the Union's strategic use of digital communications and new social media
- Collaborating with leaders from other departments in the development of campaign communications strategy and content
- Working with outside consultants or vendors on special projects
- Ensuring that all communication is consistent and reflects the Union’s strategic vision
- Editing and revising all communications content as necessary
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of one year of work experience in media relations, public affairs, or campaign communications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to frame issues for specific audiences and develop simple and effective advocacy materials
- Proficient with Microsoft Word/Excel
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice
- Fluency in Spanish or Cantonese a plus
- Prior work experience with grassroots advocacy campaigns
- Experience with creative media production in one or more of the following areas is preferred: web development, graphic design, photography or video production / editing
- Experience using with Salsa or Mobile Commons a plus
- Experience using Adobe Creative Suite software (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign) or Final Cut Pro a plus
Salary and Benefits:
- Please share salary requirements.
- Excellent benefit package, including Health and Dental Insurance, Pension, Legal Assistance and Car Insurance allowance for business use.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and writing samples with the job title that you're applying for on the subject line of the e-mail to email@example.com
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.