Warning messageThis position is no longer available. Thank you for your interest in working with UNITE HERE.
UNITE HERE/Culinary Workers Union, Local 226
Culinary Workers Union Local 226 and Bartenders Union Local 165, Nevada affiliates of UNITE HERE, represent over 57,000 workers and their families in Las Vegas and Reno, including at most of the casino resorts on the Las Vegas Strip and in Downtown Las Vegas. UNITE HERE represents 270,000 workers in gaming, hotel, and food service industries in North America.
The Culinary Union is Nevada’s largest immigrant organization - a diverse membership that is approximately 55% women and 56% Latino. Members -who work as guest room attendants, bartenders, cocktail and food servers, porters, bellmen, cooks, and kitchen workers- come from 173 countries and speak over 40 different languages. The Culinary Union has been fighting for fair wages, job security, and good health benefits for working men and women in Nevada for over 83 years.
The Culinary Union is hiring a Political Director to collaborate with the Union’s leadership and lead political efforts. The focus of the position is to develop the leadership and political power of hospitality workers in Nevada, build, strengthen, and support relationships and coalitions among faith, labor, civil rights, community, and immigrant rights groups, and win elections and policy changes that improve the lives of workers.
Responsibilities (included but not limited to):
- Develop and implement strategies for political leverage in worksite and community campaigns, including engaging elected officials, local and state government, and community organizations.
- Establish issue and electoral targets, message, and campaign logistics.
- Work with Internal and External Organizing staffs to develop, recruit, and train new leadership from the membership.
- Work with the Communications Director and campaign staff to develop and coordinate messaging strategies and amplification through varieties of traditional and new media.
- Design and implement political workshops and training programs covering worksite communication, one-on-one communication, volunteer recruitment, voter registration campaigns, PAC fundraising, working with staff on engaging local universities and colleges to involve students in UNITE HERE/Culinary Union campaigns, and GOTV operations.
- Develop political flyers, issue education materials, and training materials.
- Supervise and manage electoral campaigns and GOTV operations, including canvassing and phone banking. Assist in database management, including but not limited to, creating and monitoring a database of community and political contacts.
- Coordinate with elected Culinary Union leadership and assigned campaign staff to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with elected officials, community/immigrant rights organizations, labor organizations, and allies throughout Nevada.
- Coordinate programs and logistics for public political events and large-scale mobilizations.
- Represent Culinary Union and International Union Political Department at meetings and conferences when necessary.
- Provide staff support to Culinary Union and to International Union projects when necessary, including but not limited to contract, organizing, and NLRB election campaigns; electoral work and membership development.
- Work with elected Leadership and International Union Political Department to help further build Culinary Union Political Department by having the Political Director’s involvement in the hiring and management of additional staff. Job Requirements/Qualifications:
- Commitment to improving the lives of workers in Nevada.
- At least 2-3 years’ experience doing political work, including electoral campaigns and targeting, strategic campaigning for organizing and contracts, and GOTV operations.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and presentation skills.
- Experience with conducting trainings, workshops, and public actions with small and large groups, in worksite and community settings.
- Experience in union or community organizing and managing meetings and conferences for staff and rank and file members.
- Ability to understand, communicate, and analyze complex legislation (written & verbal).
- Strong PC skills-MSWord, Access, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Familiarity and experience with the Voter Action Network (VAN) and/or Labor Action Network (LAN) preferred.
- Ability to drive and willingness to travel by plane, train, bus, or automobile required.
- Knowledge of Nevada and Las Vegas political landscape
- Fully bilingual (fluent in English and Spanish).
- Full Time Position with excellent benefits. Wages are competitive within the non-profit sector and based on level of experience.
- UNITE HERE/CULINARY WORKERS UNION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. PEOPLE OF COLOR ARE URGED TO APPLY.
- E-mail a cover letter, resume, and 3 references to: Grace Gatti, Culinary Union Political Department (firstname.lastname@example.org).
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.