Campaign Coordinator/Negotiator - Local 8
UNITE HERE Local 8 is seeking a Campaign Coordinator/Negotiator to join our dedicated team.
WHO WE ARE: UNITE HERE Local 8 represents more than 5,000 workers in the hospitality industries of Oregon & Washington State. Local 8 members work in hotels, restaurants, food service, and airport concessions. They include room cleaners, cooks, bartenders, bellmen, food and beverage servers, bussers, and dishwashers.
Through organizing and winning good contracts, UNITE HERE members throughout North America have made hundreds of thousands of traditionally low-wage jobs into good, family-sustaining, middle class jobs. Over the years, UNITE HERE Local 8 members have fought hard for and won:
- Living Wages
- Job Security
- A Voice on the Job
- Respect in the Workplace
- Affordable Family Health Insurance Paid by the Employer
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Campaign Coordinator/Negotiator reports directly to the Staff Director and/or Union Leadership. This position will be responsible for leading contract negotiation campaigns and other critical union campaign projects as assigned. This is not a 9 to 5 job – expect long and varied hours, with early morning, evening and weekend work, as necessary.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Lead contract bargaining at the negotiating table and coordinate and participate in related organizing efforts;
- Train field staff to coordinate campaigns and/or bargain union contracts;
- Lead other campaigns as needed by local leadership;
- Develop and train bargaining teams;
- Develop Contract Action Teams;
- Supervise staff as assigned;
- Multi-task and perform other duties as assigned (such as some internal organizing).
- Commitment to building long-term power for working people
- Strong background in labor and organizing
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write reports, make presentations, facilitate meetings, and conduct trainings
- Private Sector union experience required
- Prior experience as a lead negotiator; knowledge of bargaining first (1st) contracts is preferred
- Experience with staff supervision is preferred
- Ability to take initiative, to work with a team, and to handle a fast-paced environment, multiple projects and tight deadlines
- Ability to maintain good working relations with diverse membership and staff
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours and participate in all union wide activities
- Willingness to travel and work in different locations for determined periods of time (regular travel to Oregon will be required)
- Must possess a valid driver’s license, auto insurance, and an automobile for business use
- Commitment to social justice and building power for workers
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Salary is based on experience. Fully paid benefits package includes medical, dental, vision and pension.
Position will remain open until filled.
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.