Confidential Administrative Assistant - Local 23
Warning messageThis position is no longer available. Thank you for your interest in working with UNITE HERE.
Union: UNITE HERE Local 23
Location: New York, NY. Possible relocation to Houston, TX or Washington, D.C.
Summary: UNITE HERE Local 23 is a growing labor union representing airport concessions, airline catering, hotels, gaming and food service workers across the U.S. (More info available on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UniteHereLocal23/)
We are looking for a dedicated activist for social and economic justice, with demonstrable administrative skills and the ability to learn new skills. This position is responsible for assisting with and coordinating a wide variety of office operations, including support for meetings and union actions. It requires an individual who is resourceful, highly responsible, and able to travel when needed.
Job Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
• Assists in the performance of general administrative duties, including answering member phone calls and emails, handling incoming/outgoing mail, filing, processing invoices, expenses and payroll.
• Maintains and orders supplies and equipment for Local 23 offices. Coordinates material design, order, and distribution to the Local 23 offices. Coordinates translations with outside translators.
• Plans Local 23 administrative and Executive Board meetings. Records and maintains Executive Board minutes, and assists with materials for membership meetings.
• Assists in planning and coordinating events (such as trainings, conferences, organizing drives) across Local 23.
• Assists in the development and management of Local 23 databases (primarily TIMSS, and Broadstripes) • Develops the Local’s social media and communications program, with input from Local leadership
• Works with a team of other staff to maintain membership/dues records, and drive membership programs.
• Assists with other projects as needed.
• Handles confidential and non-routine information with sensitivity
• Union activist or knowledge of labor unions through community, political, or other social activist experience.
• Experience working in a similar administrative role preferred, but not required.
• Proven organizational skills and attention to detail with the ability to be flexible and adapt to rapid changes.
• Strong basic math skills required
• Strong computer skills (Microsoft Word and Excel, database management). Must be comfortable using PCs. Knowledge of Quickbooks a plus.
• Willing and able to travel to appropriate worksites, and to work long and irregular work hours
• Exceptional interpersonal and teamwork skills. Able to work with others of diverse backgrounds.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Capable of multi-tasking in a fast-paced organization and willing to be flexible through changes
• Proven experience at working independently with minimal supervision and as part of a team to complete assignments.
• Bilingual Spanish a plus
• Valid driver’s license
Applications: Please forward cover letter and resume to: Jen Kim (firstname.lastname@example.org)
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.