Community Organizer - UNITE HERE Local 2
Warning messageThis position is no longer available. Thank you for your interest in working with UNITE HERE.
UNITE HERE Local 2 is seeking a Community Organizer to support organizing and collective bargaining campaigns in San Francisco and San Mateo Counties. The Community Organizer will lead solidarity-building efforts in support of these campaigns, represent the union in coalition and political initiatives, and assist with other aspects of the union’s programs.
Job Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Assist workers and staff in all aspects of organizing and contract campaigns.
- Build relationships and communicate with elected officials, community organizations, and others.
- Train rank and file workers to lead meetings with community organizations.
- Organize demonstrations and actions in support of union campaigns.
- Represent Local 2 in labor councils and other coalitions.
Job Requirements/Qualifications (include but are not limited to):
- Significant experience in community organizing, particularly in relation to labor issues;
- Ability to work effectively with organizers and regional leaders required;
- Ability to work under pressure, including long hours and weekends as needed;
- Excellent writing and speaking skills required, including an ability to work independently;
- Travel as needed;
- Must own a vehicle, and be prepared to drive frequently throughout Northern California;
- Fluency in second language(s) is desirable (esp. Cantonese or Spanish).
UNITE HERE Local 2 is a union of 14,000 hotel and food service workers in San Francisco and San Mateo Counties. Local 2 works closely with other UNITE HERE! locals in Northern California and throughout North America. More information here:
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to Matthew Stewart: email@example.com
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.