Organizer - Local 23
UNITE HERE Local 23 is a growing local union with a diverse membership working in hospitality positions in food production, hotel, and airport jobs. We are seeking an experienced and passionate Organizer to engage workers to grow and strengthen their union.
Local 23 is a UNITE HERE affiliate representing hospitality workers in over 12 states including the District of Columbia. The Organizer position is currently based in Washington, DC. Candidates must be willing to travel and organize in other parts of Local 23 jurisdiction, primarily in the South. For more information: www.unitehere.org https://www.facebook.com/UniteHereLocal23/
UNITE HERE is a progressive labor union, fighting for dignity, living wages and affordable health care for low wage hospitality workers. Our 270,000 members work primarily in hotels, food service, casinos and gaming. Through organizing and winning good contracts, UNITE HERE members have made hundreds of thousands of traditionally low-wage jobs into good, family-sustaining, middle class jobs. UNITE HERE boasts a diverse membership - largely Latino and Asian immigrants and African Americans – with a majority being women.
Position Objective: Build power and win justice for low-wage, service sector workers in Local 23. The Organizer will identify, recruit, develop and train worker leaders, and be part of a team to develop shop-level and local-wide strategy. The Organizer will work with the Local 23 team to develop a vision for and carry internal and new organizing strategies.
- Identify, recruit and develop worker-leaders through one-on-one communication;
- Build and maintain active worker committees;
- Move workers into action on the shop floor to enforce their rights.
- Develop worker leaders into volunteer organizers.
- Train Shop Stewards to enforce their contract and deal with management.
- Oversee and do grievance handling with worker leaders and organizers.
- Develop strategy for union growth as part of Local 23 leadership team;
- Help to organize and run large actions such as picket lines and civil disobedience;
- Perform administrative tasks necessary for worker organizing such as maintaining the database, producing materials and correspondence.
- Willingness to travel and organize in other parts of Local 23’s jurisdiction, primarily in the South.
- Dedication to social and economic justice, and specifically to building a strong labor movement;
- 2-3 years previous experience in labor or community organizing;
- Demonstrated skill in developing leaders, building unity within a diverse group, and inspiring others to take action;
- Demonstrated ability to use independent judgment within the context of an overall plan and structure;
- Excellent communication skills in one-on-one and group settings;
- Good organizational and administrative skills, including basic computer skills;
- Willing and able to travel to appropriate work sites, and to work long and irregular work hours;
- Valid driver's license and own car;
- Spanish language skills a plus but not required.
For more information about this position, please contact Sarah: email@example.com
Women and People of Color are encouraged to apply.
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual preference, gender identity or gender expression.