Organizer - Local 23, Washington, D.C.
UNITE HERE Local 23 is a growing regional union with a diverse membership working in hospitality positions in food production, hotel, casino, and airport jobs. We are seeking experienced and passionate Organizers to engage workers to grow and strengthen our union with current openings in: Washington, D.C. and Atlanta, GA
Local 23 is a UNITE HERE affiliate representing hospitality workers in over 12 states with opportunities for growth especially in airports. Although the Organizer/s will be based in a city, Local 23 staff must be willing to travel and organize when there are campaign needs in other parts of the Local 23 jurisdiction, primarily in the South. For more information: https://www.facebook.com/UniteHereLocal23/
Organizer Responsibilities include:
- Identify, recruit and develop worker-leaders through one-on-one communication;
- Build and maintain active worker committees in internal and/or external organizing campaigns;
- Move workers into action on the shop floor to enforce their rights.
- Develop worker leaders into volunteer organizers.
- Train Shop Stewards to enforce their contract and deal with management.
- Oversee and do grievance handling with worker leaders and organizers.
- Help to organize and run large actions such as picket lines and civil disobedience;
- Perform administrative tasks necessary for worker organizing such as maintaining the database.
- Dedication to social and economic justice, and specifically to building a strong labor movement;
- Demonstrated skill in developing leaders, building unity within a diverse group, inspiring others to take action;
- Previous experience organizing in a Community/labor union and/or workers’ movements;
- Demonstrated skill in making and driving organizing plans with specific goals;
- Demonstrated ability to use independent judgment within the context of an overall plan and structure;
- Excellent communication skills in one-on-one and group settings;
- Good organizational and administrative skills, including basic computer skills;
- Willingness to travel on occasion, and to work long and irregular work hours;
- Valid driver's license and own car;
Salary: Depends on Experience. Position includes excellent health benefits and retirement.
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.