Bilingual Organizer - Local 2850
Local 2850 is seeking an experienced Bilingual Worker Organizer in the East Bay! UNITE HERE represents and organizes hotel, restaurant, casino and food concession workers throughout the country. A large percentage of our membership and non-union hospitality workers are immigrants including many Cantonese and Spanish-speakers. Most are women. UNITE HERE is committed to a direct action style of organizing and emphasizes leadership development amongst low-wage workers.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR: Applicants must be willing to work hard, learn and fight for economic justice for low-wage workers. You must be able to communicate well in Spanish or Cantonese and be committed to mobilizing workers and developing leaders. You must be able to work with diverse groups of people. Long hours are required. Must possess a driver’s license, auto insurance and an automobile. Should have 2 years’ experience as a full-time organizer or union representative.
Position Responsibilties of Union Organizer include:
- Identify, recruit, train and develop worker leaders and shop stewards.
- Housevisit workers.
- Conduct meetings with workers.
- Develop and implement shop steward and leadership trainings.
- Train workers on direct action, house visits & other organizing skills.
- Union contract enforcement
- Mobilize members around the Union’s organizing program
- Organize non-union workers.
- In depth training at all levels of experience.
- Opportunity to work with a team of dedicated and energetic co-workers and member leaders.
- Full benefits package including medical, dental, sick leave, vacation, pension.
- Salary depends on experience.
TO APPLY: Send resume, cover letter and 3 references to Wei-Ling Huber at email@example.com
OR FAX TO: (510) 893-5362.
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual preference, gender identity or gender expression.