Boycott Organizer - Local 2, San Francisco
Warning messageThis position is no longer available. Thank you for your interest in working with UNITE HERE.
Boycott Organizers develop strategy to move customers from boycotted properties, work with worker committees and lead teams of volunteer activists to plan and carry out creative actions to help enforce boycotts. The work is typically 40% - Coordinating and executing creative actions at strategic locations to help enforce boycotts and 60% - Research and campaign related work. Boycotts are a critical piece of our union's comprehensive campaigns. Our members (a majority of whom are women and immigrants) in the hotel industry are standing in solidarity, fighting against corporations that are attempting to roll back hard-won decent wages, benefits and respect on the job. Non-union hotel workers are fighting for the right to organize free from management intimidation and retaliation.
UNITE HERE Local 2 represents over 12,000 workers who work at hotels, restaurants and clubs in San Francisco and San Mateo counties. Our goal and commitment is to develop leadership among the rank and file members, organize the unorganized and to build a strong union based on membership involvement and participation. Candidates must demonstrate a commitment to working for social justice by building a strong labor movement. The position entails irregular hours including work in the evenings and weekends.
- Must have passion for low wage and other worker struggles;
- Must have previous activist experience -- boycott experience a plus;
- Must be assertive and have excellent language, writing and computer skills;
- Applicants must be willing and able to travel to appropriate work sites, and relocate as necessary.
Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
- Researching hotel clients;
- Developing and carrying out strategy to move clients from hotels that are driving down industry standards;
- Recruiting/developing/maintaining volunteer committees;
- Working with community and labor allies;
- Coordinating actions such as leafleting, delegations and marches, including frequent early morning actions.
TO APPLY: Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.