Union Organizer - Local 483
Warning messageThis position is no longer available. Thank you for your interest in working with UNITE HERE.
UNITE HERE Local 483 is seeking an experienced organizer to develop leadership among rank and file members, organize the unorganized, and build a strong union based on membership involvement and participation.
Job Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Identify, recruit, train and develop worker-leaders through one-on-one communication
- Train workers to organize their coworkers
- Build and maintain worker committees
- Organize and lead worker committee meetings
- Represent members in grievance procedures
- Help to organize and run demonstrations
- Perform administrative tasks necessary for worker organizing (such as maintaining databases, producing materials and correspondence)
- Experience as an organizer and/or union representative preferred
- Willing to work long, irregular hours (including weekends), as needed
- Willing and able to travel as needed
- Commitment to rank and file leadership development
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to work with a diverse, multi-cultural membership
- Ability to speak one of the following languages preferred: Spanish/English
- Commitment to organizing the unorganized
- Ability to work in different campaigns (as needed)
UNITE HERE Local 483 is a union of hotel and food service workers in Monterey County, California. It is affiliated with the UNITE HERE!, a progressive labor union that fights for dignity, living wages and affordable health care for low wage workers. Local 483 works closely with other UNITE HERE! Locals in Northern California and throughout North America.
TO APPLY: please send us your resume, two references, and a cover letter describing why you want to be an organizer at Local 483. Please address these to 702 Forest Avenue. Suite C, Pacific Grove, CA 93950, or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual preference, gender identity or gender expression.