Boycott Organizer - Local 11, Los Angeles
UNITE HERE Local 11 seeks a committed activist to be a Boycott Organizer in Los Angeles. Boycotts are a critical piece of our union's comprehensive campaigns. Be a part of a movement of low wage workers that is confronting corporate greed and mistreatment of workers! Our members are raising the standards of low-wage, service sector jobs, and winning dignity and respect on the job through solidarity and action. UNITE HERE Local 11 is a progressive union that represents more than 20,000 workers employed in hotels, restaurants, airports, sports arenas, and convention centers throughout Southern California. (www.unitehere11.org) Local 11 is an affiliate of UNITE HERE (www.unitehere.org) which represents more than 270,000 workers in North America.
Boycott Coordinators develop strategy to move customers from boycotted properties, work with worker committees and lead teams of volunteer activists to plan and carry out creative actions to help enforce boycotts. The work is typically 40% - Coordinating and executing creative actions at strategic locations to help enforce boycotts and 60% - Research and campaign communications related work.
- Must have passion for low wage and other worker struggles;
- Must have previous activist experience -- boycott experience a plus;
- Must be assertive and have excellent language, writing and computer skills.
- Applicants must be willing and able to travel to appropriate work sites;
Duties Include (but are not limited to):
- Researching hotel clients;
- Developing and carrying out strategy to move clients from hotels that are driving down industry standards;
- Recruiting/developing/maintaining volunteer committees;
- Working with community and labor allies;
- Coordinating actions such as leafleting, delegations and marches, including early morning actions daily.
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.